Friday, June 7, 2013

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech


Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech is a Newbery Medal winner that I have been meaning to read for quite some time.

As Salamanca Tree Hiddle travels from Ohio to Idaho on a road trip with her grandparents, she tells the story of her friend Phoebe Winterbottom's missing mother. Layered under that is the story of Sal's own missing mother, who went away to figure a few things out, and never returned.

This book is masterfully written and fully deserving of the honors it has received. The author makes excellent use of foreshadowing and other literary techniques to hint at the conclusion of the story, without blatantly giving too much away. I thought I had solved some of the book's mysteries early on (and for the record, I was correct!), but I could never be sure until the end. And some of the things that happened in the story really did throw me for a loop! This book brought both laughter and tears, and I highly recommend it.

(Reviewed from my personally purchased copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment