Monday, June 10, 2013

Jinx by Sage Blackwood

Jinx by Sage Blackwood is a stellar juvenile fantasy, possibly the best I've read so far this year.

When Jinx is taken into the Urwald to be abandoned by his stepfather, he knows he will soon die. After all, nobody steps off the path in the Urwald and lives for long, not with the witches and wizards and monsters that roam the forest. But then Jinx meets Simon Magus, who takes Jinx in as a servant. Though Simon is a wizard -- are all wizards evil? -- he treats Jinx better than anyone else ever has. But will Simon ever teach Jinx any magic?

This book reminded me of Diana Wynne Jones in all the best ways: great characters, fun plot, little touches of humor. The ending is a bit muddled, but by that point I was completely enthralled by the story and the characters. This is definitely an exciting debut; I can only hope that we will see a lot more by this author in the future!

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

2 comments:

  1. You're the second person I've heard recommending Jinx. I think I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably the best MG fantasy I've read this year too. So good!

    ReplyDelete