Monday, June 15, 2015

We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist

We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, A True Story by Josh Sundquist is a cute, funny memoir of one man's dating life, or lack thereof.

As an adolescent and teen, Josh was always a little bit geeky and awkward, which might explain why he only had one girlfriend (in eighth grade, for 23 hours). At the ripe old age of 25, he looks back on his romantic misadventures in middle school, high school, and college, wondering where, exactly, he went wrong. Being of a mathematical and scientific bent, he forms a hypothesis about each of his crushes, then attempts to contact the girl to see if his hypothesis is correct. In many cases, what he learns surprises him.

This book was a lot of fun to read, though it did sometimes evoke that squirmy embarrassed feeling you get when you're reading about a person about to do something potentially humiliating, and you (the reader) are powerless to stop them. Josh's experiences rang true for me, since I have also experienced a certain amount of failure in the romantic realm. It's always nice to know you're not alone! I did wish for a little more explanation or closure in some cases, but I realize that's not always possible in real life. I though Josh's conclusion about why things went down the way they did was accurate, and something that I should remind myself of occasionally. All in all, a highly enjoyable light read.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment