Sunday, June 24, 2012

Flora Segunda and Flora's Dare by Ysabeau S. Wilce

Flora Segunda and Flora's Dare by Ysabeau Wilce were both rereads for me. I read and enjoyed them both a few years ago, but knew I needed to refresh my memory of them before reading the newly-released third book in the series.

I don't think I can possibly summarize the plots of these two books. Wilce is an amazing writer, and she does a great job with character, setting, and plot. I love Flora, for all her flaws and foibles. The scrapes she gets into are often of her own creation, but the reader will root for her throughout, for all that. The setting is wonderfully different from the typical fantasy world, and the language and naming traditions reflect that.

I hope I'm not giving these books short shrift with this truncated review -- I highly recommend them to fans of young adult fantasy.

(Reviewed from my personally purchased copies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment