Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wonder by R.J, Palacio


There's been a lot of buzz about Wonder by R.J. Palacio, so I had to read it for myself. I think the buzz is, in general, deserved.

Ten-year-old Auggie has never been to school. Born with extreme facial abnormalities, he's been through countless medical procedures. He's used to people staring at him, pointing at him, pitying him . . . but he's about to experience his biggest challenge yet: middle school. Auggie manages to deal with the bullies and backstabbers of fifth grade with grace and a buoyant optimism. He's not perfect, of course -- what ten-year-old is? -- but he's infinitely likeable. A strong cast of secondary characters rounds out the story. I recommend this book, and I'd bet that some award committees out there will be giving it serious consideration.

 (Reviewed from a copy borrowed though my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment