Friday, April 27, 2012

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley


I listened to The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley, narrated by Diane Warren, over the course of a week or so. I have read The Blue Sword many times before. Many, many times. In fact, I found that I could quote particularly memorable lines along with the audiobook narrator.

In The Blue Sword, Harry is sent to live on a military complex at the border of Damar, far from her homeland, because her father has died and her brother is in service at that post. Harry immediately falls in love with the desert and the distant mountains, never dreaming that she will some day do what no other Homelander has done: travel to those mountains with the king of Damar and his Riders. Despite her foreign background, Harry's future and that of Damar (and its king) are inexplicably intertwined. Though she is unaware of it, Harry possesses kelar, the magical Gift of the hill people, and she has a part to play in the land's very survival.

I love nearly everything McKinley has written. This isn't my favorite, but it's in the top three. I thought the audiobook narration was serviceable, but not fantastic. Then again, this is one of those books where I'm inclined to be picky! I did enjoy listening to this book -- it was a nice way to sneak in a reread without feeling that it was taking away from the time I could spend reading other things.

(Reviewed from an audiobook borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment