Thursday, April 19, 2012

Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have by Allen Zadoff


Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have by Allen Zadoff is the story of Andrew Zansky, a fat kid who decides to remake his image by trying out for the football team. He does this mostly to impress April, a cool new girl who also happens to be a cheerleader. In embracing his new image, he manages to hurt and alienate his old friends. Will his new friends prove to be as faithful as they seem? Is there some way he can balance both parts of his life?

This is a funny story with strong characters and an interesting plot. It didn't do a lot for me personally, but I can appreciate that, in this case, it really is just me. If you like books like Swim the Fly and Flash Burnout, you'll probably love this book.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment