Thursday, July 5, 2018

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

It’s winter break, and Marin is alone in her college dorm. Alone, because her only relative, Gramps, died a few weeks before the semester began. On the day he died, Marin discovered something that made her question everything about her life with Gramps. Now, her best friend Mabel is on her way to visit, and Marin will finally face the events of the past summer: what happened with Mabel, what she learned about Gramps, and why she reacted the way she did on that terrible night.

This is a spare but deeply emotional read. It circles from the present to the past and back, drawing the reader gently but inexorably into Marin’s story. Though not heavy on plot, it’s a compelling read. It deals with heavy issues in a way that is ultimately comforting. If this description appeals to you, you will probably love this book. I think it’s the sort of story that will stay with me for a long time.

(Reviewed from an e-audiobook borrowed through my library system.)

2 comments:

  1. I have this one sitting on my shelf. I really need to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I enjoyed it more than I thought I might.

      Delete