Sunday, July 1, 2018

Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman

Tess screwed up, big time. With her future in ruins, her family has given her two choices: stay with her twin sister and brother-in-law and eventually become governess to their children, or enter a convent. Fortunately, as a wise person Tess has yet to meet will say, there are never just two choices. The day before she must make her decision, Tess sets out on the road. As she travels, Tess will find adventure enough even for her restless heart.

I devoured this book in two days. Great plot, great characters, great pacing. I wasn’t sure how I would do with Tess, who isn’t very sympathetic early on, but even when I didn’t like her, I was invested in the story — and she gets some excellent character development as the story progresses.

While I think you will enjoy the book more if you’ve read the Seraphina duology, this book does stand on its own (though the setting is the same, and events of the previous two books are referenced). Either way, I recommend it!

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment