Friday, July 6, 2018

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. by Judy Bume

Margaret has just moved to a new town and is about to start sixth grade. She’s very concerned about when she will start developing a figure, as are her new-found friends. Though her parents have raised her without religion, she has always carried on private conversations with God. She decides to make religion a project for the year, but she doesn’t feel an immediate connection with any of the experiences she tries. How will the project turn out? And will she ever start her period?

I came across a mention of this book in another book I was reading, and realized that I hadn’t read it since my own adolescence. It stands up well to the test of time, since so much of it is about Margaret’s emotional life and the big questions she has about religion and growing up. I feel that this book deserves its classic status.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment