Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Secrets of Shakespeare's Grave by Deron Hicks

Secrets of Shakespeare's Grave by Deron R. Hicks is a juvenile mystery with a contemporary setting, but a Shakespearean twist.

Colophon Letterford's family has been in the publishing business for centuries -- and, unlike her older brother Case, Colophon loves everything about the family business. When a shady figure from a distant branch of the family poses a threat to everything Colophon holds dear, she knows some drastic action will be necessary. Then she meets Julian, the black sheep of the family, who has devoted his entire life to finding a legendary family treasure (which nobody else in the family believes exists). Working together, Colophon and Julian follow the clues to Stratford-Upon-Avon. Can Colophon and Julian find the family treasure in time to save the family business?

I can see fans of other juvenile mysteries enjoying this book, though there's less of the danger/competition aspect that one finds in many juvenile mystery series. As an adult reader, there were times when certain plot points strained credulity, but I think the book's intended audience would get more enjoyment out of it than I did. And that's not to say that I did't like the book -- I did. I'm just not sure I'd recommend it to other grown-ups . . . but I'll definitely recommend it to kids!

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment