Friday, August 16, 2013

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman is a wonderfully wacky little story about a dad who runs to the corner store to get some milk, and has a few adventures on the way home. Poor old Dad is abducted by aliens, travels through time and space with a stegosaurus, sails with pirates, and faces everything from ponies to piranhas. Fortunately, the milk gets home safely (along with Dad), and it may even have saved the world somewhere along the way!

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book -- I generally like Gaiman's writing for children, though I am ambivalent about his other works, so I approach anything new with a cautious sort of curiosity. In this case, I got a pleasant surprise. I gulped this brief book down in one sitting, and it made me smile and even laugh more than once. Fortunately, the Milk is delightful, and I think it will work particularly well as a read-aloud.

(Reviewed from an advance copy, courtesy of the publisher.)

No comments:

Post a Comment