Monday, November 26, 2012

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Drama by Raina Telgemeier is a cute and fluffy graphic novel about the drama that goes on both onstage and off in a middle-school theatre department.

Callie loves the theatre -- she's an aspiring set designer who loves all things Broadway. Though working with a middle-school budget and limited technical capabilities, she's determined to create a top-quality set for the upcoming school musical. When she meets two talented brothers who are also theatre fanatics, it starts to look like romantic sparks will fly for Callie backstage, but what will her other friends think of Callie's new relationships?

This was a quick read (as one would expect from a graphic novel) and lots of fun. It made me nostalgic for my own days of backstage drama. My only critique was that I thought Callie and her friends had more technical skill (and more freedom with the equipment) than most middle-school theatre students would have. I could be completely wrong about that, though. I'll definitely recommend this to graphic novel fans who are growing out of the Babymouse series and looking for something else just as enjoyable.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment