Sunday, October 5, 2014

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh was a reread for me -- this time, I listened to the audiobook.

Harriet M. Welsch is going to be a writer some day. For now, she is observing everything she can, from her family to her classmates to the neighbors she observes on her "spy route." She writes candidly (and often cruelly) in her notebook, but when that notebook is discovered and read by her classmates, Harriet is headed for trouble!

I haven't reread this book in years, and what struck me this time is how well Fitzhugh wrote about the experience of childhood. Harriet is kind of a brat, and I wouldn't want to be around her in real life, but she manages to be sympathetic in the context of the story. This childhood classic is one I highly recommend for both children and adults.

(Reviewed from an e-audiobook borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment