Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Cat Who... Series, books 9-12 by Lilian Jackson Braun

Another four Cat Who... books. In books 9-12 (The Cat Who Went Underground, The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts, The Cat Who Lived High, The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal), I feel like the series really hits its stride. Qwill and the cats are still living in Moose County, easily adjusting to a lifestyle of affluence -- despite the fact that Qwill has established the Klingenschoen Foundation to distribute most of his wealth to worthy causes. And the occasional dead body shows up, just to keep life interesting. The books are more about character and setting than the mystery, which is okay by me, but may frustrate readers looking for good solid whodunits.

Of these four, my favorite is The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal, possibly because it's the first book where Qwill is living in the converted apple barn. I would not mind having a home like that, let me tell you!

The other interesting thing I noticed about these four books was the introduction of what I'm calling "Qwilleran's Gambit" -- whereby Qwilleran uses research for a potential book in order to better snoop around in whatever interests him at the time. If Qwill were to actually write all of the books he starts researching, he would be a prolific author, indeed.

I'm continuing with my series reread, and I anticipate at least four more strong books before things start to go all pear-shaped, so hang in there. I'll get back to my regularly scheduled program of children's and young adult books soon!

(Reviewed from my personally purchased copies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment