Friday, August 10, 2012

The Cat Who... series, books 13-16 by Lilian Jackson Braun

Books 13-16 of the Cat Who... series (The Cat Who Moved a Mountain, The Cat Who Wasn't There, The Cat Who Went Into the Closet, and The Cat Who Came to Breakfast) are some of the strongest books in the series. This time through, I was particularly impressed by The Cat Who Went Into the Closet. The Cat Who Moved a Mountain has always been one of my favorites, as well. I found that The Cat Who Came to Breakfast, which I remembered fondly, was not quite as good as I recalled from reading it as a teen. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as some of its predecessors.

In these four books, Qwill has completed the five years of residency in Moose County stipulated in the Klingenschoen will, so he is now in complete control of his assets.  He still keeps a hands-off policy regarding his fortune, content to let the Klingeschoen Foundation handle dispersing the money among worthy causes in the community, but now he has more freedom to travel.  There's even some speculation that he might move out of Moose County, but he finds that he is now firmly entrenched in small-town life.

I'm heading into the next four books with a measure of trepidation . . . I think the series may start going downhill before too long.

(Reviewed from my personally purchased copies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment