Saturday, March 31, 2012

Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan

 Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan is a lovely book, and a delightful audiobook. I listened to this one at the recommendation of one of my co-workers, and I'm glad I did.

Rachel Sheridan is the daughter of missionaries. She was born in Africa, and she loves it there. When both of her parents die in the 1919 influenza epidemic, Rachel falls into the clutches of a scheming family who have just lost their own daughter. Rachel will take that daughter's place on a voyage to England, to visit the dead girl's grandfather and get into his good graces. Rachel is hesitant to take part in the scheme, but her only other option is being sent to the orphanage her own parents grew up in. Rachel resolves to tell the truth anyway, but then she meets the ailing old gentleman, whose health is so frail that she fears the startling news of his granddaughter's death and his son's duplicity in sending Rachel could have disastrous consequences. As she remains with him, Rachel grows fond of the old gentleman, and begins to love him as she would her own grandfather. Will she ever be able to tell him the truth? And will she ever be able to return to her beloved Africa?

I greatly enjoyed listening to this book. It's well written (my favorite so far of the Gloria Whelan books I have read) and well-narrated by Bianca Amato. I would recommend it to fans of historical fiction and children's classics.

(Reviewed from an audiobook borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment