Friday, February 24, 2012

Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn


Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn is a stand-alone fantasy novel by one of my favorite authors. I've been following Shinn's new publications ever since I discovered her excellent Twelve Houses series, and this book did not disappoint.

Zoe Ardelay has been living in exile ever since her father did something that put him out of favor at court. When her father dies and Darien Selast, the king's chief advisor, appears to take Zoe back to the palace, Zoe must quickly learn to navigate the dangerous waters of the royal court.

That summary is a bit brief, but there are so many interesting plot twists that I didn't want to give anything away. One thing I will say: Shinn does a great job of coming up with new magic systems and societies. I'd love reading more books set in Zoe's world, so I'm hoping that this book will eventually expand into a series in its author's imagination.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment