Sunday, February 12, 2012

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Graceling by Kristin Cashore was a reread for me. It seems like rereading has become a luxury I rarely indulge in, of late. I reread this book for two reasons -- for one, an online book club that I participate in is reading it as a group. My other reason for rereading . . . well, that will become obvious with my next post.

In Katsa's world, some people are born with a special ability -- a Grace. Gracelings, as they are called, have eyes of two different colors. Katsa's Grace makes her an extremely fierce and dangerous fighter. Her king has made use of Katsa's skills, sending her to threaten and injure people who do not obey his commands. Katsa hates being used, but feels trapped in her position. She has, however, started the Council, an underground movement dedicated to righting the wrongs committed by the kings in the Seven Kingdoms area where she lives. One night, on a rescue mission, Katsa meets Po, a Graceling who is nearly her match in fighting. She doesn't know it yet, but Po is going to have a profound influence on her life in the future, as she leaves her kingdom to venture out on her most dangerous mission yet.

This was a fun read, both now and when I originally read it. On the other hand, I don't feel that I got anything new out of reading it again. Katsa is an interesting, though not particularly sympathetic, character. I certainly recommend this book, particularly to Tamora Pierce fans and those looking for a light fantasy with plenty of action and a little romance along the way.

(Reviewed from my personally purchased copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment