Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The Vanishing Stair by Maureen Johnson

Despite recent tragic events, Stevie still dreams of solving the Ellingham mystery... which may prove difficult, as her parents have removed her from Ellingham. When an opportunity to return comes from an unexpected source, Stevie makes a bargain she may come to regret.

I’m not sure what I think about this book, or what I can say that won’t constitute a spoiler. The mystery is not solved (for the reader, at least) at the end of the book, but it felt to me like it was very close. I was wishing for another 30 pages, but instead we get to wait for another book. This book shares the strengths of its predecessor, particularly in characterization and setting. I’d probably recommend reading the entire trilogy once the final book comes out, as I was wishing I had done a reread of the first before diving into this one. A good read, but with a rather frustrating ending.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment