Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

Maya's horoscope promises a marriage of death and destruction, so she has resigned herself to life as a scholarly spinster in her father's harem. Then, one day, he announces that he has assembled all of his political rivals there, ostensibly so that she might choose a bridegroom from among them. Any choice will result in disaster, as those not chosen will retaliate violently against the kingdom. When the ceremony descends into chaos, a stranger, not one of the assembled bridegrooms, sweeps Maya away to his own kingdom, a mystical place with many secrets that Maya is not permitted to learn until the new moon. When she begins exploring on her own, disaster follows, and she sets out on a quest to make right her mistakes.

I love the Indian-inspired aspects of this fantasy -- it's lush and original. However, the writing is flowery and convoluted to the point that I had a hard time following the story. I sometimes couldn't figure out what was real and what was metaphorical, and some things just didn't make sense. For instance, at one point this sentence appears: "Amar's gaze was downcast, fixed on the sky." Was he standing on his head, then? Things like that took me right out of the story. Too bad -- I wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't wrap my brain around the writing style.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment