Monday, October 15, 2018

Castle Waiting, Volume I by Linda Medley

Picture Sleeping Beauty’s castle, just after the princess is awakened by True Love’s Kiss. When the prince and princess ride off into the sunset... what happens to the castle and the rest of its inhabitants? In Medley’s graphic novel, it becomes a sort of refuge for all kinds of quirky characters. Few of them get to share their full stories in this volume, and the narrative rambles all over the place, with the last seven chapters dedicated to a story within the story about an unconventional order of bearded nuns. It’s a charming world, and I wouldn’t mind spending more time there, but the peripatetic nature of the story meant that I felt no urgency to keep reading, and I put this book down several times in favor of more compelling reads. Still, if you like fantasy stories and graphic novels, you might want to give this a try.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment