Friday, August 17, 2018

Puddin' by Julie Murphy

Millie and Callie don't have much in common: Millie's an optimistic fat girl with dreams of a career in broadcast journalism, Callie is co-assistant captain of the school dance team, and kind of a mean girl. When a prank that Callie is participating in goes too far, the two are thrown together in ways that neither could ever expect.

I enjoyed this, maybe a little less than I enjoyed Dumplin', but it's a feel-good story about friendship and becoming who you're meant to be. I thought Millie was a bit of a Mary Sue, way too emotionally mature and self-aware to be entirely believable, but she did make a few mistakes and seem a little more human in the later parts of the book. Callie's personal transformation was dramatic, but felt earned. I listened to the audiobook, which was adequate but not fantastic. The narrator voicing Callie didn't do a good job of differentiating between Millie and Callie's voices, so in places lacking dialogue tags, it could be tricky understanding who was speaking. The narrator voicing Millie often pronounced Callie as Kelly ("Who's Kelly?" I kept thinking), and I thought her voice sounded too mature for a teenager most of the time. But those are minor nitpicks; if you prefer reading via audio, don't let my opinions discourage you from doing so with this book.

(Reviewed from an e-audiobook borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment