Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Cup and the Crown by Diane Stanley

The Cup and the Crown by Diane Stanley is the sequel to The Silver Bowl, which I reviewed when I read it last year.

In this book, Molly, Tobias, and a few companions travel far from Westria in search of a Loving Cup -- one of the magical goblets created by Molly's grandfather. Their journey takes them to Harrowsgode, a secluded city that does not readily welcome visitors. Molly is obviously related to one of the city's leading families, so she and Tobias are permitted to enter . . . but leaving the city proves even more difficult. Will Molly and Tobias be able to find the cup -- and even if they do, will they be able to return with it to Westria?

This book has many of the same strengths and weaknesses as its predecessor. I enjoyed reading about Harrowsgode, and thought the setting was very rich. Many of the secondary characters, on the other hand, were fairly flat. The plot moves on relatively quickly, and it's not a long book. While I enjoyed reading it, I suspect that it will not stay in my memory for long. Readers of juvenile fantasy will find this a solid, though not particularly exciting, addition to the genre -- if you're interested, I do recommend reading The Silver Bowl first.
(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment