Friday, October 5, 2012

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


 I seem to have review-writer's block about The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater . . . at least in part because it's so hard to summarize it without giving anything away. So, I'll just say that it's a story about ghosts and psychics and privileged private-school boys and a dead Welsh king, and leave the summary at that.

As for how I liked it . . . well, I liked it quite a lot, though not quite as much as I liked The Scorpio Races. There was a brooding, atmospheric quality in The Scorpio Races that this book doesn't quite achieve -- but then, this book is quite different in tone, so it doesn't need to be The Scorpio Races all over again. The characters are great, particularly the Raven Boys themselves, and I look forward to seeing what happens with them in future volumes.

(Reviewed from an advance copy, courtesy of the publisher, via a giveaway by MotherReader.)

No comments:

Post a Comment