Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True by Gerald Morris

 In sharp contrast to my last read, The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True by Gerald Morris is a snappy 118 pages. It does a surprising amount of stuff in that short space, too -- there's some stuff about courtesy, friendship, and promises, but the book doesn't feel too didactic, partly because Morris seasons it all with a liberal does of humor.

I read the first few books of this author's middle-grade series a few years ago, so the humor came as no surprise to me. While this book doesn't have as sophisticated a plot as The Squire's Tale and its sequels, it is just as distinguished in its way. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Sir Gawain to adult readers, but it's one that should definitely be on the radar of anyone who works with students in grades 2-4, since tales of knights and their adventures have enduring popularity.

(Reviewed from an advance copy sent to me by a friend. Erm . . . some time ago.  I am not always as prompt as I would like to be about reading galleys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment