Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Universe is Expanding and So Am I by Carolyn Mackler

Virginia has always been curvy, and her feelings about her body have long been complicated. Her family’s attitudes toward her weight haven’t helped. She was thrilled to find a boyfriend (see The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things), but now she’s not sure she even likes the guy all that much. If she breaks up with him, will she ever be part of a couple again? Then, family drama breaks out, not to mention friend drama, summer employment, and the dreaded driving test.

I read The Earth, My Butt... back in library school (how is that even 10+ years ago already?), and this book picks up right where that one left off. I’d be interested to see how that works when reading the two books together, since this one name-checks stuff like Minecraft and Hamilton, placing it pretty definitely in the present. (I've since learned that an updated version of the first book has been released, as well.) On the other hand, I have only the vaguest memories of the earlier book and had no problem following this one, so it works just fine as a stand-alone. I read this all in one evening, so obviously I liked it a lot. Great characters, interesting conflicts, good pacing — if realistic YA is your thing, this one’s worth reading.

(Reviewed from an advance copy, courtesy of the publisher.)

No comments:

Post a Comment