Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Spinning by Tillie Walden

A graphic memoir exploring the author’s teen years in the competitive world of ice skating, where she feels increasingly out of place.

I’ll admit it: though I enjoy watching figure skating in the Winter Olympics, I don’t give it much thought during the off years. I know very little of synchronized skating, and only the tiniest bit more about figure skating. So, reading this was an interesting glimpse into another world. Walden does a good job of conveying her experiences to the layman.

On the other hand, I found the narrative disjointed in places, and I was left with questions that never really got answered. Some of those may be because this is a memoir, and the author herself didn’t know the answers (why did her parents not come to her competitions? Why did she and her mother not get along?), but sometimes an issue was brought up and never resolved, or seemed to be resolved outside of the story somehow.

Those quibbles aside, the artwork is great and the emotion heartfelt. I’d recommend this if it sounds intriguing to you.

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment