Monday, December 31, 2012

Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau

I almost forgot that I read Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau several days ago, trying out a (relatively) new ebook lending service available through my library.

Jade is dealing with plenty of typical teenage issues -- finding a bathing suit that fits her full figure, shopping for feminine hygiene products with her dad (her mother died about a year ago in a boating accident), tongue-tied conversations with cute boys, and her legs transforming into a tail when she takes a bath. (Okay, so that last one? Not so typical.) Jade is discovering that she didn't know as much as she thought she did about her mother, and about her mother's death. Can Jade learn to control her new abilities, or are pool parties going to be off-limits for the rest of her life?

This was a fun light read. I appreciate reading about a heroine who is overweight and generally okay with that (swimsuit shopping drama aside). I'm not sure if I will continue with the series, but I'd certainly recommend it to teens who like mermaids and chick lit.

(Reviewed from an electronic copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment