Friday, December 14, 2012

Anna Hibiscus by Atinuke

Anna Hibiscus by Atinuke is the most charming early chapter book I've read since Clementine. Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa -- amazing Africa! -- with her extended family, including her African father, her Canadian mother, twin baby brothers Double and Trouble, and a host of aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents. The plot is episodic, so I can't really do this book justice with a plot summary. Though each chapter stands alone, the chapters flow nicely together. This would make a fantastic classroom readaloud, teachers! I just love Anna Hibiscus. I'll be trying hard to get my hands on the rest of the series -- which is not as easy as you might think, since the series is published by Kane Miller, an imprint of Usborne, which is basically sold like Tupperware by independent sales reps, so not available through the usual channels. This is one book that's definitely worth the effort, though!

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)



No comments:

Post a Comment