Thursday, October 16, 2014

Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire

Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire is an inventive fantasy from a master of the craft.

Once upon a time in Russia, there were two girls -- a city girl and a country girl, a rich girl and a poor girl. It was the unlikeliest of things, that their paths should cross . . . but they did. When the two girls inadvertently change places in a quickly changing world, they are both caught up in a story rich with Russian folklore and magic. Their story will involve a prince and a monk, a witch, a dragon, and a firebird, and an egg -- more than one egg, in fact.

Maguire weaves a splendid story in this book. It's so very Russian, and I am a sucker for all things Russian. And it has elements of fairy tales, and I am a sucker for fairy tales. If there's a target audience for this book, I'm plopped down comfortably right in the middle of it, and happy to be there. And if it sounds like you might be anywhere close to me, I definitely recommend this book!

(Reviewed from a copy borrowed through my library system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment