Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson is a reread for me -- and it's a book that stands up well to rereading. An impoverished Russian countess, displaced due to the Russian revolution, takes a position as a housemaid in a grand English country home. She is soon beloved by everyone there, upstairs and down -- and even Rupert, the new Earl of Westerholme, is not completely unaware of her charms. However, the arrival of Rupert's fiancee Muriel brings many unwelcome changes to the estate. . . .

This book is delightfully funny and sweet. All of the characters are wonderful, but Anna is the one that really makes the book. She's one of those fictional characters that I really wish I could meet in person -- since I can't, I'm sure I'll be dropping by her book for many more visits in the future!

(Reviewed from my personally purchased copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment